Recently, The Institute of Eminence(IOE) tag has been awarded to five higher education Institutions by the Ministry of Human Resource Development. IIT-Madras, IIT Kharagpur, Delhi University, Banaras Hindu University and the University of Hyderabad has been awarded by this tag. In this article, we will discuss the objectives and benefits of the Insitute of Eminence.
About Institute of Eminence tag
- The institute of eminence scheme was announced by the finance minister(Arun Jaitley) in his budget speech of 2016.
- The responsibility of implementing the scheme is on the Ministry of Human Resource Development and is administrated by the University Grant Commission (UGC).
- The Empowered Expert Committee (EEC) headed by N Gopalaswami is set up by UGC has given the task to give the name of those institutions which has the potential to make it to the list of world's top universities.
Objectives of the Institute of Eminence
- The main aim of this scheme was to enable Indian higher education Institutions to achieve global importance.
- The government to select 20 higher education institutions 10 from each public institution and private institution and then help them in achieving global recognition.
- It aims to provide quality teaching and research in order to promote research and excellence in India's higher education institutions.
- It aims to push the 20 listed institutions in the list of top 100 universities in the world.
Also, the five private institutions have given the letter of intent. It means that even these private institutions will be awarded the Insitute of eminence tag provided if they fulfill minimum eligibility criteria.
- These institutes should be rated by the global ranking survey such as QS world Univerity rankings or should be rated by national ranking surveys by the (National Insitute Ranking Framework) NIRF.
Benefits of having IOE tag:
- These institutions will enjoy complete autonomy in their operation in the curriculum, course management, financial administration, and governance.
- They can recruit foreign faculty up to 25% of its faculty strength.
- The public institutions under the IOE tag will receive a government grant of 1000 crore rupees in order to strengths their infrastructure.
Hope it helps.
If you find this article useful, do UPVOTE and share it with your friends and comment on the topic which you are aiming for.