The Present Context
The meeting of Western Zonal Council is scheduled for Aug 22. In this context let's know about Zonal Councils.
About Zonal Council
- Zonal Council has been set up under the States Re-organisation Act,1956 in order to address interstate issues of respective zones.
- There are five zonal councils across the country.
Objectives of Zonal Council
- The main objective of this council is to promote National Integration by Arresting the growth of acute State consciousness, regionalism, linguism, and particularistic tendencies.
- Enables the Centre and states in the respective zones to cooperate with each other and exchange ideas and experiences.
- Provide a platform for the center to promote cooperation among the states and provide for faster implementation of the socio-economic project.
Structure of Zonal Council
- The Union Home Minister is the chairman of all five Zonal Council.
- The Cheif Minister of Respective state is Vice-chairman by rotation, each holding office for a period of 1 year at a time.
- Members: Cheif Minister and two other ministers from each state and union territories appointed by Governor of the respective state.
- Advisers: One person is nominated by the Niti Ayog, Cheif secretaries of all states and development commissioner of each state.
- Union Ministers: They are also invited to participate in the meetings of Zonal Councils depending upon the necessity.
Composition of Zonal Councils
- The Northern Zonal Council: It comprises the states of Chandigarh, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, and Rajasthan.
- The Central Zonal Council: It comprises states of Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, and Uttarakhand.
- The western Zonal Council: It comprises states of Goa, Gujarat, Maharashtra and the Union Territories of Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli.
- The Southern Zonal Council: It comprises the states of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and Telangana and union territory of Puducherry.
- Note: We don't have zonal council if the North Eastern States. A separate statutory body has been set up known as North Eastern Council under the North Eastern Act of 1971.
- Note: Andaman and Nicobar Island, Lakshadweep are not a member of any councils but they are present in Southern Zonal Council as an invitee.
Hope it helps
If you find this article useful, do UPVOTE and share it with your friends and comment down the topic which you are aiming for.