This topic is strictly based on the UPSC CSE prelims examination. This is a series of articles in which we will cover each and every topic of Polity in sequence for UPSC CSE Target 2020.
Pitt's India Act of 1784
- The Commerical and Political functions of East India company were separated. Commerical functions deal with the business entity and Political functions deal with the administrative entity.
- Court of Directors was given the charge to control Commerical Functions and the Board of Control was given the charge to control Political affairs. Before 1784 East India Company was controlling India but this act placed the Indian affair under the direct control of the British Government, i.e this act provides direct control of the British Parliament over India.
- The territories of East India Company was declared as "the British possession in India",i.e property of the British government in India.
- Governor's Council was established in Madras and Bombay.
Outcomes of Pitt's India Act of 1784.
- This act leads to stricter control of East India Company over India. (point 1 and point 3)
- Double Government: (Refer point 3)
Click Here to know The Regulating Act of 1773 and its Outcomes for UPSC CSE Target 2020.
Hope it helps
If you find this article useful, do UPVOTE and share it with your friends & Comment down the Articles you are aiming for?