French President Emmanuel Macron stated that there is no space for the third-party mediation in the Kashmir Conflict and it has to resolve bilaterally between India and Pakistan.
This statement matters a lot for India as France is a permanent member of the UNSC and has veto power too. So, in this context let's understand some Important points of India-France relations.
India-France Relations before Independence
- French came as traders to India in the 17th century and they maintain to make a small colony in Puducherry until 1954.
- During the first and 2nd world wars, Indian soldiers fought side by side along with the french soldiers as a part of allies powers.
- India and French have also fought together against Fascism and Extremism.
- The idea of Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity that has been included in the Preamble of the Indian constitution was born during the french revolution.
India-France Relations After Independence
- The collapse of the soviet union in 1991 brought these countries much closer.
- France was the first P-5 country to support Indian membership in UNSC.
- France was amongst very few countries that didn't criticize India's Nuclear test.
- The cooperation of France in the field of nuclear, space, counter-terrorism, defense, urbanization, culture has grown up in the last few decades.
ISRO has launched various heavy communication satellites from the French spaceport. This is launched by Arianespace spaceport located in Kourou, French Guiana(overseas territory of France located in South America).
ISRO has collaborated with the space agency of France's CNES( National Centre for Space Studies (CNES) (French: Centre national d'études spatiales) )on the upcoming Ganganyaan Mission. They had also worked in the past on the Megha-Tropiques mission and SARAL mission.
India-France Defence Projects
- There is regular defence exercise between India and France: viz. Exercise Shakti(Army), Exercise Varuna(Navy),Exercise Garuda(Air force).
- France gives great support to India in Aircraft. Recently, India has bought 36 Rafale jets through government to government deal.
- There is a joint venture between India's Reliance Group and French aerospace firm, Dassault Aviation for the production of Rafale fighter jets and Falcon civilian aircraft.
- P75 Project: It is a contract for the transfer of technology to built Scorpene Submarine. The two submarines Kalveri and Khanderi have been built.
Hope it helps.
If you find this article useful, do UPVOTE and share it with your friends and comment down the topic which you are aiming for.